Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Caribbean Coconut Soap Rebatched

The other day, after pouring our "Caribbean Coconut" soap into the molds, I realized I had left out one of the oils in my recipe and it was too late to do anything about it. I'm currently out of Caribbean Coconut soap so I really didn't need the headache or expense of screwing up this batch and then having to wait for more fragrance oil to arrive before I could make a new batch. But rather than cry (which I really wanted to), get mad (which I usually do), or complain (which I sometimes do), I decided to put on my big girl panties and salvage my mistake by "rebatching" the soap and I decided to do a little experimental scent blending while I was at it. FYI, rebatching soap is done by carefully and slowly melting previously made soap. You can use a variety of heat sources but for this batch I chose the microwave.


So here is the soap I need to salvage.




Here is the soap cut in smaller pieces sitting in the microwave ready to be rebatched, aka melted.





After about 30 minutes of low heat and intermittent stirring the soap is still not quite ready.




While the soap finished melting I took some time to select the colors I would use to color my soap. I love this part. I decided on some beautiful blue micas and oxides. I also ended up adding a beautiful green mica that's not pictured here.





Here's my soap finally melted and me adding the missing Avocado oil. I also decided to add a small amount of additional almond fragrance oil that I mixed in with the Avocado oil. I figured a coconut scented soap with an additional almond note sounded good.





The avocado oil and almond fragrance oil have been mixed in and now here I am adding the colors. Did I mention I love this part?





Now that the colors have been added the soap is poured/plopped into a mold and left to cool and harden. Rebatched soap has the texture of soft mashed potatoes thus the rough and rustic looking texture.




And here is the soap after it's cooled, removed from the mold, and cut. By the way, the scent turned out yummy. It reminds me of an Almond Joy candy bar. After it's well cured I'll add it to our online store as a "special edition" soap.